Go Back   PreThemer Community > Main Category > Help & How-Tos

Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 AM

Default Theming Primer

Plenty of people keep asking how to make themes. Really everyone, it's not that hard. Anyway, here's a good primer. I posted this in another thread but am putting it here so it's easier to find.

First, download the zip archive of someone else's theme, unpack it and see what images that person changed. A few of the best themes to use for this are Left 4 Dead, Original Blue Theme, Monster Energy Redux or Red Bull, because those themes have been heavily modified. There are others too, I just don't know the names of them off the top of my head.

Acquiring Pre/Pixi Default Images
There are several ways to do this.
  1. Prethemer uses the SDK and WinScp to get them. I'm not totally sure how that works and haven't tried it yet. If you want to try this, you'll have to ask Prethemer or figure it out for yourself.
  2. Use Internalz with File Manager Service (both are available with Preware). With Internalz, you can copy anything to the media/internal/ folder on your Pre. Then connect your Pre to your computer as USB drive and copy the files to your computer hard drive. If you download another theme, you should have a pretty good idea of which folders and files to copy. This is how I get the default images.
  3. Go to your profile. Click My Themes. Click Upload New. On each of the pages, select the Manage Individual Files button. Open each file, right click and save each image. Slow, but it works.
  4. Ask nicely and maybe someone will email you all of the image files.

Creating Themes
Creating themes for the Pre is really nothing more that replacing images. So, modify/create the images you want. There are a couple of places on the Prethemer.com upload pages where you can change text and background colors. Simply follow the instructions on those pages. For example, on the messaging app page, you can change the background and text color. If you make dark chat bubbles, you'll want to change the text to a light color as the default color is black.

To get more advanced, you can create custom patches to do stuff, like change backgrounds on the messaging, contacts and email apps or add a font. I suggest sticking to image replacement and changing font and background colors until you get it down.

Uploading Themes to Prethemer.com
There are three ways to do this; the first two are similar:
  1. Go to your profile page, and select the My Themes tab. Click Upload New. Go to each page and upload files individually. Takes a while, but it works fine.
  2. For each "section" that you theme, create a zip archive. Then, go to your profile page, and select the My Themes tab. Click Upload New. Go to each page and upload each zip archive. Important note here: if you use this method, all the file names must be exactly as they appear on the Pre/Pixi or they will not be saved in the Prethemer.com database and added to your theme.
  3. You can use Theme Builder. I personally have not used it to create a theme, so I can't really help you figure this one out. Once you get it done in Theme Builder, you can upload the zip archive it outputs on Prethemer.com.

Testing Your Theme (Optional, but important)
Once you have all your files uploaded, go to the Preview page and generate new previews. Wait a few minutes and review them. Fix anything you don't like, upload the modified images and generate new previews. Repeat until you are satisfied. Once I've done this, I usually download the ipk file and install it on my phone using WebOS Quick Install as the previews don't show me everything I changed and I want to make sure everything looks right. If I need to make changes, I uninstall the theme with WebOS Quick Install, modify the images, upload them, generate new previews, download the ipk, install it on my Pre and review everything I changed. Repeat until satisfied.

Making Your Theme Public
Once your satisfied with your theme, go to your profile, click My Themes, click edit on the theme you want to make public, select ONLINE, and click save. Give the system a few minutes to generate screenshots. You're done.

Themes by GrillSgt thread
See all GrillSgt's themes

Feedback is appreciated. While not required, if you like my themes, please donate a little to show your appreciation for my work. Thx

My Websites (not for profit, but for fun):
GrillSgt's Firepit
BillCanGrill.com
Follow me on Twitter.

Last edited by GrillSgt; 12-13-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:49 AM

Default Theming Primer, Part 2 - Resources

Lots of people want to know what programs to use, where to get stuff, etc. Here's a start, but really folks, you could find all this stuff yourself using Google, Bing, Yahoo or any of the thousands of search engines on the web.

Graphics Programs
There are plenty of others. If you have a Mac, you'll need to look for yourself. If I ever get a Mac, I'll update the list. Some of these may be Mac-compatible (like Adobe).
Icons
These should all be free places to get icons, but there may be a pay site mixed in here.
Stock Photos (Royalty Free, Limited Rights, etc.)
Most stock photo sites are pay sites.
Fonts
Pre Resources
I'm not including links because these get updated often. Just Google, Bing or Yahoo them. Or go to Precentral.net and search there.
  • WebOS Quick Install
  • Theme Builder
  • WebOS Repair Utility
  • WebOS Doctor

Other Resources

Feedback is appreciated. While not required, if you like my themes, please donate a little to show your appreciation for my work. Thx

GrillSgt's Firepit
BillCanGrill.com
Follow me on Twitter.

Last edited by GrillSgt; 12-13-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:46 AM

Amazing post GrillSgt, this will definitely help out all the new themes. ~Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Default Do not understand

You state the following..

# Use Internalz with File Manager Service (both are available with Preware). With Internalz, you can copy anything to the media/internal/ folder on your Pre. Then connect your Pre to your computer as USB drive and copy the files to your computer hard drive. If you download another theme, you should have a pretty good idea of which folders and files to copy. This is how I get the default images.
# Go to your profile. Click My Themes. Click Upload New. On each of the pages, select the Manage Individual Files button. Open each file, right click and save each image. Slow, but it works.

I have not found "Internalz" using Preware. You make reference to "Go to your profile" What profile and where? I have downloaded themes in zip format and have looked at the files and files in the directories. Each theme has a "theme.xml" file which I assume controls the installation. It appears to me that you have to have "root" access to your Palm to make changes, which I have not been able to create. I I want to do is change the "boot screen" and "lock screen" icons to the them on my Palm. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
I have not found "Internalz" using Preware. You make reference to "Go to your profile" What profile and where? I have downloaded themes in zip format and have looked at the files and files in the directories. Each theme has a "theme.xml" file which I assume controls the installation. It appears to me that you have to have "root" access to your Palm to make changes, which I have not been able to create. I I want to do is change the "boot screen" and "lock screen" icons to the them on my Palm. Any advice would be appreciated.
To find Internalz, load Preware. Select Select "Available Applications." Select "Categories." Change the view to alphabetical order (A-Z). Scroll until you find Internalz.

To find your profile page on PreThemer.com... First, it's easier to find if you're not in the forums. On any page outside of the forums, near the top right corner you should see your screen name. Click "My Account" or "My Themes." If you click "My Account," then click the Themes tab when the page loads. This will show you all the themes you've uploaded (side note: there are also tabs for Wallpapers and Boot Logos that you've uploaded). To create a new theme, click "Upload New" just below the tabs on the right.

You don't have to "root" your Pre to install themes, boot logos or wallpaper. I've never just installed a boot logo, only themes. However, it should be pretty easy. I think all you have to do is download a boot logo package and install it on your Pre using WebOS Quick Install. If it's an ipk file, simply select the ipk file from your hard drive and click Install. Same for themes if you install them with WOQI.

To change the lock screen icons, you'll need to create a theme with the changed icons and then install the theme with WOQI or through Preware (to do the latter, you'll want to upload it to PreThemer.com and set it to online. Then you can download and install with Preware.) Hope this helps.

GrillSgt's Firepit
BillCanGrill.com
Follow me on Twitter.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillSgt View Post
To find Internalz, load Preware. Select Select "Available Applications." Select "Categories." Change the view to alphabetical order (A-Z). Scroll until you find Internalz.

To find your profile page on PreThemer.com... First, it's easier to find if you're not in the forums. On any page outside of the forums, near the top right corner you should see your screen name. Click "My Account" or "My Themes." If you click "My Account," then click the Themes tab when the page loads. This will show you all the themes you've uploaded (side note: there are also tabs for Wallpapers and Boot Logos that you've uploaded). To create a new theme, click "Upload New" just below the tabs on the right.

You don't have to "root" your Pre to install themes, boot logos or wallpaper. I've never just installed a boot logo, only themes. However, it should be pretty easy. I think all you have to do is download a boot logo package and install it on your Pre using WebOS Quick Install. If it's an ipk file, simply select the ipk file from your hard drive and click Install. Same for themes if you install them with WOQI.

To change the lock screen icons, you'll need to create a theme with the changed icons and then install the theme with WOQI or through Preware (to do the latter, you'll want to upload it to PreThemer.com and set it to online. Then you can download and install with Preware.) Hope this helps.
Thanks for such a quick response. I am running Preware Ver 9.18 and OS 1.3.5.1. Under available packages it show "Optware" and "Internalz" does not exist. I even did a "list of everything" and it still does not exist
Old 01-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
Thanks for such a quick response. I am running Preware Ver 9.18 and OS 1.3.5.1. Under available packages it show "Optware" and "Internalz" does not exist. I even did a "list of everything" and it still does not exist
Internalz is in the Precentral feed.

GrillSgt's Firepit
BillCanGrill.com
Follow me on Twitter.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 PM

If you open up PreWare, press Available Other > Service > Services & Plugins > FileMgr Service.

Then go back to PreWare's homescreen, & start typing 'Internalz' it should search all packages & then show up.

Does it not show up when you search for it? (Note: the FileMgr Service will not appear in the 'List of Everything' )
Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 PM

I think by default it opens to /media/internal. Click the ".." at the top, to go up a directory. I know Jason limits the access of Internalz ( so users cannot accidently delete anything of vital importance ) so i'm not sure exactly which directories you have access to however you do have access to all your installed applications, the directory is: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/.

EDIT: I stand corrected: as GrillSgt said, the limited access is only for save/move/delete in certain directories, not access to them.

Last edited by veritas06; 01-22-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM

You can copy any file from any directory, or copy any directory. You can only save, move and delete in media/internal.

GrillSgt's Firepit
BillCanGrill.com
Follow me on Twitter.

Tags
fonts, icons, photos, software, themes