Go Back   PreThemer Community > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randompre View Post
yeah but the patch would allow others with less knowledge to easily uninstall the theme without all the fuss. Easy to just replace the file for some, but not all.

Now if someone can just create that patch :-)
That's true...not to mention I would love to be able to have my theme saved as a theme...it would become annoying if you have to hand edit everything every time you want a change..

I'm sure it won't take long...other patches edit css so that shouldn't be a problem...I think probably getting the software online would be the hard part...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Seems like the patching method works great!!! The color of the dialpad numbers and letters can be change as well as the color when you type. Installed and uninstalled fine. Just has to be added to the site but i'm sure it will be.

Keep up the good work guys
Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
That's what the patch does though...edits the file.....frankly although the patch may be quicker, I'd rather be in control..
Without a patch, though, there will be problems when someone tries to uninstall a theme to install a different theme. There could be other issues with updates as well.

Themes by GrillSgt thread
See all GrillSgt's themes

Feedback is appreciated. While not required, if you like my themes, please donate a little to show your appreciation for my work. Thx

My Websites (not for profit, but for fun):
GrillSgt's Firepit
BillCanGrill.com
Follow me on Twitter.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillSgt View Post
Without a patch, though, there will be problems when someone tries to uninstall a theme to install a different theme. There could be other issues with updates as well.
If the person knows enough about css and what their doing then they should know what they made changes to. The patch only does it for you. I know exactly what changes I made to my pre, so I can just revert back to the .bak files when I'm ready for a new theme. I don't forsee any trouble with it..

That said, I am not perfect nor a guru when it comes to this stuff, so if there is something I am unaware of or missing please advise... For example, would reverting back to the .bak files and changing everything back to the way it was originally still lead to potential problems? If so, why?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
If the person knows enough about css and what their doing then they should know what they made changes to. The patch only does it for you. I know exactly what changes I made to my pre, so I can just revert back to the .bak files when I'm ready for a new theme. I don't forsee any trouble with it..
Not everyone who owns a Pre or Pixi is technologically savvy in these things like we are. So using a patch to make these changes allows anyone to enjoy themes as the creator intended and to back them out when they want to change themes or there is an OS update.

Quote:
said, I am not perfect nor a guru when it comes to this stuff, so if there is something I am unaware of or missing please advise... For example, would reverting back to the .bak files and changing everything back to the way it was originally still lead to potential problems? If so, why?
I don't have anything specific, but I vaguely recall reading about issues with direct changes to files other than images. It could have been with JS files and not CSS files. I may have read this stuff here or over at PreCentral.

Themes by GrillSgt thread
See all GrillSgt's themes

Feedback is appreciated. While not required, if you like my themes, please donate a little to show your appreciation for my work. Thx

My Websites (not for profit, but for fun):
GrillSgt's Firepit
BillCanGrill.com
Follow me on Twitter.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM

The patch method works flawlessly. I have created a patch to change the dialpad color, numbers and letters, top text and other items, and then uninstalled it with no issues through webos.

EDIT>> patchws work through preware fine! Correctly changes color of dialpad and everything else!!!!! YAY!!

;-)

Edit again they do not uninstall correctly ;-(

Last edited by randompre; 03-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM

OK, so all my themes have a specifically edited dialpad...that being said, am i going to be able to add those images into a patch and have it uploaded along with the theme?
I dont want to have to settle for just a font/color change out of a list of patch options...i'd like to have the ability to use the same keypad icons i've already created as patches so my themes can stay the same as they previously were before the update. If you look at my dialpad's from my themes, you'll see that lots of them are orbs or icons I created, lots of time and effort, so I don't want to change them. Is this even possible? Could I "donate" some of my fonts/icons as keypad icons for a patch? Perhaps it's time i learn to create the keypad patches so my themes can stay the same.
Any ideas on this, or a point in the right direction is appreciated!

would it be possible to add a patch, then upload the keypad icons separately? Sounds like a pain, but this would solve my problem.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holley2583 View Post
OK, so all my themes have a specifically edited dialpad...that being said, am i going to be able to add those images into a patch and have it uploaded along with the theme?
I dont want to have to settle for just a font/color change out of a list of patch options...i'd like to have the ability to use the same keypad icons i've already created as patches so my themes can stay the same as they previously were before the update. If you look at my dialpad's from my themes, you'll see that lots of them are orbs or icons I created, lots of time and effort, so I don't want to change them. Is this even possible? Could I "donate" some of my fonts/icons as keypad icons for a patch? Perhaps it's time i learn to create the keypad patches so my themes can stay the same.

would it be possible to add a patch, then upload the keypad icons separately? Sounds like a pain, but this would solve my problem.
You'll be able to have *specific* backgrounds to the dialpad numbers, but the numbers themselves are strictly text. However, I suspect, based on my knowledge of css, that someone could edit the css to call the images instead of using text. I do not however have much knowledge regarding the sytem aspects of webos, so I don't know how accurate that assessment may be. It seems like a logical theory though, providing the images are exactly the right size..
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holley2583 View Post

i am so right there withya ive only made one theme so far but i put alot of time into my dialpad icons and i want them back
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreThemer View Post
This thread is to discuss changes in apps that change how the generated previews look. Started from this thread and branched out here.

firstly, the phone. There are no more number images (thank god), the 0-9, # and * (as well as the corresponding letters and icons - except the voicemail icon under the number 1 key) are all plain text. This means no more making a crapload of number images, it also means that they should be easier to style now (CSS colors and positioning to change color or hide the text all together and show your own background image or such).

Working on getting the preview generator up to snuff with how it should look now.
What is the status of getting Phone to work...